Star chefs Quinn Hatfield and Daniel Humm have a killer recipe that doesn’t require every ingredient in the supermarket.
BY WILL COCKRELL
Star chefs Quinn Hatfield and Daniel Humm prove you don’t need a monstrous shopping list to make an amazing meal. “I don’t eat that much meat,” Humm says, explaining the appeal of this hearty but vegie-centric salad. “I focus a lot on vegetables, which I think are more interesting and exciting – fresh ingredients, healthy foods.”
QUINOA SALAD WITH SARDINES AND KALE
1⁄2 cup quinoa
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 lemon juice and zest
1⁄2 bunch kale, thinly sliced
1⁄2 avocado, halved and pitted
16 oil-packed sardine fillets
2 Italian parsley sprigs
1. Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer, and season to taste with 3 tbsp salt. Add quinoa and simmer until tender, about 40 minutes. Drain quinoa and rinse with cold water.
2. In a bowl, mix quinoa with spring onions. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, 11⁄2 tsp lemon juice and 11⁄4 tsp salt; stir.
3. Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer. Gently lower egg into water; simmer 10 minutes. Drain egg; cover with ice water. When cold, peel and slice in half.
4. Place kale in a bowl and massage with hands till slightly wilted. Season with 1 tsp lemon juice, zest of 1⁄2 lemon (using a microplane) and 1⁄4 tsp salt.
5. Scoop out flesh of avocado half and cut into two wedges. Carefully season each wedge with olive oil and sea salt.
6. Divide sardine fillets and avocado wedges on two plates. Spoon quinoa salad onto plates. Add kale salad near quinoa. Place an egg half on each plate. Top with parsley.